Grilled Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup w/ Homemade Croutons (4 Servings)
We started a weekly tradition in the beginning of the year and it keeps getting better week by week. We turn you’re favorite sick day meal into a weekly treat. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Night is making a comeback ladies and gentlemen.
* Indicates Organic ingredients. We like knowing our food is free from pesticides, chemicals, and hormones. You should too! Buying local organic produce and groceries gets you an A+ in healthy eating and living sustainability.
* Rudi’s Colorado Cracked Wheat Bread (10 pieces)
* Organic Valley Munster Cheese (4 pieces)
Sharp White Cheddar Cheese (1.5 oz)
* Pacific Natural Foods Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
* Tuscan Herb Blend Olive Oil (1/2 Tbsp)
* Grape Tomatoes (about a handful)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Measure out and shred 1.5 oz of white cheddar cheese (I like to leave some larger chunks in the mix as well)
3) Lightly drizzle 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil evenly over 2 pieces of bread on a cookie sheet.
4) Spread shredded cheese evenly on top of the bread.
5) Add Italian herbs to taste.
6) Place in oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
7) While the croutons are cooking place pot on the stove and begin heating the entire soup carton (4 cups) over medium heat.
8) Drizzle olive oil over griddle and spread with a paper towel. Place the remaining 8 pieces of bread on the griddle (at about 350 degrees or medium high on stove top).
9) Place one slice of munster cheese on 4 of the pieces of bread.
10) Chop the grape tomatoes and place desired about on each slice of bread with cheese.
11) Top the 4 covered slices of bread with the plain slices. Cook for about 3 minutes and then flip. Cook the sandwiches until the cheese inside is melted and the bread is golden brown.
12) By this time the soup should be hot and the croutons should be cooked. Cut the croutons into bite size pieces and distribute equally among the bowls of soup. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
* This meal is extremely quick and easy. The meal is only made better by the quality of your ingredients. Pacific Natural Foods also has a very good Creamy Tomato soup that would be an acceptable substitute. Amy’s Kitchen also overs a wide variety of organic soups. *
Ballpark Nutritional Value (1 Serving)
- 15.5g of fat (8g saturated fat)
- 66g carbs
- 20g protein
* This meal has more saturated fat than I’d usually like but if you eat it as a lunch or early dinner you will have more time to burn off those calories before you go to bed.